Tuesday, February 26, 2008

#!5 I Hate People Who Think Evanston is Dangerous


I mean, come on now, it's a city, cities have crime, you have to take the bad with the good, and when it comes down to it, it's a great place, and I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live.  Yes, my ex boyfriend got dragged out of his car and searched for drugs with 4 guns pointed at his head, and sadly, some of the kids we have grown up with have been shot and even killed, but its the price we pay for living in an integrated city where people actually know how to get along with people of other races.  Okay, that is obviously not always the case, as I cannot even tell you how many times I was chased down the hall and called "Stupid White Girl" for accidentally bumping into someone.  But, in a way it's pretty funny, I mean, I wish I could get away with calling someone a stupid white girl and demand "respeck" whenever I wanted to.  I couldn't imagine high school with out the fights in the hall ways over issues such as whether or not DeShawn is truly Latriece's baby daddy (Maury show: quick fix for this kind of dilemma).  

What's so much better about New Trier or Loyola? Half those kids are high on Ecstasy and Coke throughout high school, and others are committing suicide from the depression of living in such a dull community. (Side note: when was the last time a kid at Evanston committed suicide?)  It sucks that our high school is located kitty corner from Church and Dodge, a.k.a. Gangsterville, U.S.A., but I guess I look back on getting icicles and snowballs thrown at me while waiting there for the bus freshman year with some sort of nostalgia.  And yes, Shantal slapped me across the face in 8th grade for saying hello to her boyfriend, but I punched a girl in a bar in the middle of Lincoln Park (true story), so who's scary now?

I also love how when I tell people that I live in Evanston they look at me with such terror, wondering how I can possibly sleep at night.  Dude, I live on the Home Alone 3 street, parallel to the Sixteen Candles Street, and went to Dennis the Menice's elementary school and Rookie of the Year's Middle School.  I sleep just fine on my quaint tree lined street which interestingly enough is full of families who choose to live in Evanston yet send their children to private Catholic schools where things are much "safer."  These are another category of people I hate (Sorry Jane, much love to you and your fam).  Anyway, I am and always will be a proud Evanstonian, who is fortunate enough to know about juking (while I can't actually do it myself), derbing (I guess I could theoretically do this), and straight kickin' it.

2 comments:

Gee Argow said...

This is very true. What I love about the E is that my friend was wearing Uggs, and some ghetto bitch said, "Where you think you from, Norwegia?" E-town does have its many charms.

Ricky Gonzalez said...

Your ex boyfriend sounds like a bitch. Might I suggest a new blog where you describe how amazingly hot and manly he is?