Monday, February 25, 2008

#13 I Hate Facebook


I know this may come as a huge shock, considering the fact that I am literally on that website 24/7.  I really believe it is the worst technological development to date. Worst than the nuclear bomb.  Sometimes, I really feel that I am wasting my days away on that site, and for what purpose? What good am I getting from it? It's so awesome to look at pictures of your ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend on vacation in Hawaii, or some freak show turned model from your kindergarten class.  I guess the latter has entertaining qualities, as does all of the high schoolers posting up pictures of themselves getting wasted after one beer, but I feel like I should be better than that.  Apparently I'm not, I just wish I was, and I guess at least it's the thought that counts.

We are all just spying on each other's lives.  I learn of so many new relationships, breakups, dramatic moments, etc. from this website.  That is just creepy.  What's also creepy is the fact that my friends and I have a fake facebook girl that many people seem to take so seriously.  We find a picture of some random blonde girl, fill her profile with typical girl ridiculousness such as interests of tanning, working out, and drinking, and she gets more messages than any real person I know.  What is it with interests such as tanning and working out?  Are these actual interests?  I sure don't find either of these things interesting.  I guess drinking can make things interesting, but I still  wouldn't call it a legit interest.

We also stuck on some ridiculous quotes that girls seem to love.  I really just can't get enough of "Everything is okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end."  Usually when there is some type of ending, things are not okay.  For example, a breakup would signify an end, a death would signify an end, and in neither of these situations are things okay.  So, I don't want to see that quote ever because it's awful and whoever made it up should probably end his or her life. That would be a great end.

And enough with the applications.  No, I don't want to know what character I would be on Sex and the City (okay, actually I was curious), but I am certainly not going to go around ranking people I barely know in their order of hotness or asking people to anonymously tell me what they really think of me (I don't even want to know).

As much as we all go on facebook, I truly think everyone would breathe a sigh of relief if it all of a sudden disappeared someday.  I know I could just click the deactivate button, but then I also know I will press the reactivate button 2 days later, because it's that easy.  

No comments: