Thursday, February 21, 2008

#10 I Hate People Who Can't Take a Joke

So, maybe this is funny to some people who believe that I, myself, cannot take a joke.  Truthfully, I think I can very well take a joke, but either way, this isn't about me, it's about other people.  I don't care if you think I'm contradicting myself by writing this, it is something I cannot stand and therefore, it goes on the list.

I remember in 7th grade during spirit week, my friend Brecon and I were sitting in the bleachers watching the staff play the 8th grade team in basketball.  We were all decked out in Haven's yellow and blue, cheering for our friends.  In front of us sat this girl, Casey, who didn't seem to be having any fun.  Brecon and I wanted to spread the Northstar cheer, so we decided to take some of our star stickers and place them on the back of her sweatshirt.  It took awhile for her to catch on, but when she did, she blew up in tears and really let us have it.  Come on Casey, we were just trying to turn you into the shining Northstar you were inside.  She has definitely hated me ever since, walking through the halls of Evanston in her one piece pom kit fit literally looking right through me (at least we taught her to have school spirit). I still see her on campus from time to time and I guess she thinks she's teaching me a lesson by averting her eyes and not returning my winning smiles.  Sorry Casey, but I don't want to talk to you either. You suck majorly.

Then there was that time in high school when Ian told some of my friends and me that he and Matt had hid some beer in his shed.  I still don't know why he told us that, but maybe it's because we were only sophomores and it was really cool to somehow get your hands on any type of alcohol.  Either way, I was with a bunch of girls one night and we decided it would be a good idea to go into his shed and steal the case.  When the boys realized the beer was gone, they got really pissed.  Of course one of the "friends" I was with decided to be a snitch.  Matt was literally 2 seconds away from punching me in the face.  I still don't understand the big deal here, I mean sorry for grabbing your $11.99 24 pack of Oldstyle boys, but you got it back.  We could have all had a big laugh and gotten wasted together, but no, instead he gets me back for this (and maybe a few more things), a year later by stealing $100 from the my dog groomer (which was not a funny joke...okay, maybe a little).

I really think the best was 2 summers ago, when I was sort of dating this guy who at the time I thought was real sweet.  Anyway, after I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I had a huge bruise on my arm from where the i.v. went in.  When he asked me what had happened I replied, "Don't you remember, you hit me there last night, and I'm going to show the police."  While he laughed at the time, he definitely didn't call me for about a week, and then of course I run into him the next Thursday night at the keg (also on the list of things I hate to come).  So I ask him why he hasn't called, and he tells me that he really did not think my joke was very funny.  Are you kidding me dude?  I am extremely confused as to how someone could take that much offense to me making a stupid joke, and he tells me that it's not the first time a "rich white girl" has threatened to tell the cops he hit her, and that he didn't need that kind of shit on his record. Not the first time a girl said you hit her? Shit on your record? Wow, I'm actually scared.  Guess he did me a favor with breaking it off, though I did cry for a week after.

No comments: