Tuesday, February 26, 2008

#14 I Hate Religious Extremists


Sorry, not trying to come off as the anti-christ here, but I think it gets pretty ridiculous.  I really do believe that religion is one of the main reasons for war in the world, and it should be completely done away with.  Actually, I guess it can stay, but the extremists have got to go. Obviously, Muslim extremists seem to be as bad as it can get, with their honor killings and suicide bombings, but I don't know much about that, nor do I want to, so let's not go there.

Christian extremists really freak me out.  I was terrified when meeting my freshman year college roommate, because her mom asked my mom and me  "Do Y'all Jews believe in Yah-Weh?" Seriously now, who is that? And, I'm going to go with no, because I don't really believe in anything, except maybe karma, because people usually seem to get theirs in the end. Anyway, I was officially frightened of living with this girl whose father was a pastor, and I was utterly convinced that she and her church youth group would murder me in the middle of the night if I did not accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior.  Long story short, she turned out to be pretty sweet, and the J Man never really came up, other than the fact that biblical quotes were posted all along her side of the room, as well as an interesting picture of some man from her Church who I am positive has molested at least 17 children.  And as for the people who begin sentences with "The Bible says..." that's like me saying Simon says, or something equally ridiculous.  The Bible pretty much seems to say, don't have a good time, so I'm straight off that.

And I'm not just some Jesus hating Jew here.  Orthodox Jews bad themselves, they just aren't as in your face on late night t.v. shows literally having seizures in the presence of the Lord, and setting up missionaries in Africa to "save" those in need.  On the other hand, they apparently think long sideburn curls and beards are all the rage, and word on the street is that they get down through a hole in the sheet (straight gangsta rhyme). You have also probably seen them walking around Skevanston on the weekends during the Sabbath, since of course getting in the car would be grounds for God knows what (literally).  Apparently turning on the t.v. or even a light switch on these days is unacceptable.  Sounds like a great time to me, let's sit around letting our hair grow longer and umm.. yeah that's all I got.

Hey, religious extremists, you extremely suck.

No comments: