Tuesday, March 18, 2008

#23 I Hate Man Tears

You may think that this is not exactly fair for me to say, as I let my tears flow freely on a constant basis.  However, when the man tears begin a rollin', who can we turn to, to stand strong in this world?  Tears usually flow in emotional situations, as an expression of sadness or anger. While crying is often looked down upon, especially by men, there are some locations where blubbering is socially acceptable.  In funeral parlors, for instance, people can often be seen clutching kleenex and quietly weeping.  I've also learned that for the male sex, sporting events can be quite the tear jerkers.  Take Evanston High School's loss in the State Semi-Finals this past weekend.  Tattooed, hardcore young athletes were wetting the court with their tears, and no one batted an eye.  And there are some movies, the end of Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, when Shadow runs through the yard, for example, where it is difficult to not cry at least a little (If you won't give me that one, I think we can all at least agree on Remember the Titans).

For girls, it's different.  Besides the situations already mentioned, there are loads more which include but are not limited to: the obvious break-up, fighting with a friend or family member, fearful situations, losing something important, getting a bad grade (tears are a perfectly natural way of raising any test score or paper), feeling homesick, as well as crying out of pure happiness, during a wedding ceremony, or even a sappy commercial.  Then, there are my own situations for crying, which may seem bizarre to some.  While I could theoretically list some of these, I don't feel I have the time.  Plus, most of these are public events, so you probably already have enough examples in your head.

But back onto the topic of man tears, they downright frighten me.  Luckily, seeing a dude give into the waterworks is a rare occasion, and I would like it to stay that way.  Some girls may think it's sweet when their boyfriend breaks down, showing feelings and emotion.  Gross.  I'd rather see my boyfriend repeatedly blow chunks.  I remember when I made a friend cry on my basketball court one summer, after telling him that he reminded me of Kyle from Real World Chicago.  I'm pretty sure our friendship ended right around then.  Sadly, that was not the only time I saw him shedding the big wet ones.  Maybe that's biased of me to say.  Please don't tell me I'm being unfair though, or else I may cry.  


No comments: